Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Fine Farewell for the "Crocodile Hunter"

Crocodile Hunter Gage?



I heard on the radio that there would be a candlelight memorial for Steve Irwin, the "Crocodile Hunter" at the Denver Zoo tonight, and I knew I really wanted to go. With such short notice, I couldn't find anyone else to go with me, they all had other plans, even though a lot of people wanted to come along. So it was just me and Wendy at the Zoo.

I know Australians don't like rabbits, and I even understand why, but I think it's a different kind of rabbit than I am. Whether he liked rabbits or not, I really admired Steve Irwin, and everything he did for conservation and animals all over the world. I think it's a shame that he died so young, and I think the world has grown a little darker for his no longer being in it.

I didn't know how many people would be there, but it turned out to be a pretty good sized crowd. This is shortly after we got there, and a lot more showed up after we did.




It was all put together by a lovely lady called Coco, and her family. She said she just wanted people to have a chance to say "good-bye" to Steve Irwin, and I think that is a very kind thought for those of us who were big fans of his work.

She seemed like a nice lady, seemed to like rabbits, and even had a stuffie of her own in her shirt pocket!




One super nice thing Coco did was set up some posters for people to sign that will then be rolled up and mailed to the Australian Zoo.



In the crowd, I was spotted by the eagle eyes of a nice stuffie named Kane, who came up and said "hi".



Kane told me that he and his human packmate, Joy, just got back from vacationing for a week in Alaska. It sounds like he's had a bunch of great adventures, and I tried to encourage him to start a blog too, but I don't know if he will. Seemed like a very nice fellow though, and it's always nice to meet another traveling stuffie in a crowd.

Eventually, everyone lit their candles, and Coco stood up and gave a lovely speech about what had drawn us all there, the work Steve Irwin had done, and how he had touched so many lives.


She was absolutely right, he will be missed, and I am with her in the belief/hope that his work will continue.

There were lots of very sad children, some crying over the loss of the Crocodile Hunter. But there were also many who, when I talked to them, said they wanted to continue his work. So perhaps some of the next generation of conservationists and zoologists were standing there with us, in front of the Zoo entrance.

All in all, I can't imagine a better farewell for such a kind, and passionate person. Wherever you are, Mr. Irwin, I wish you all the best. You were deeply loved here, touched more lives than you probably knew, and I hope you had a moment to peek over and watch us in Denver, where we were all thinking about you and wishing healing and kindness towards your family.

Thank you Coco for putting this together. It was a lovely way to say "good-bye".