Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Blessed Event My BUTT!!!

True to the history of doggie motherhood since the beginning of time, Voltaire chose to go into labor around 2 a.m. I've been sleeping on the floor with her since she hasn't been able to jump up on the couch, and so when she started going into labor I knew immediately.

Mandi got here in record time (and thankfully passed no police officers on her way here) and was incredibly helpful. I have no idea how we would've dealt with this without her. Mostly because I spent 90% of the blessed birthing event unconscious.

Turns out, birth is gross. I'm never going to manage to get all of the blood and goo out of those towels. Gross.

Ewww. Just ewwww.

Mom and all five (FIVE!) puppies are doing fine. Three boys and two girls. All involved (except for me) are sleeping in the doggie bed that I brought Voltaire just yesterday (Good timing!). And I won't be far behind them. You can't really make out the puppies, but I thought I'd try putting out a picture of the little furballs. Now that they're clean and dry, they're kinda cute.


Though I don't think we'll be doing this again. EVER. Voltaire will be getting fixed as soon as the puppies have gone to new homes.

Mandi's going to try to arrange a "house call" vet coming by tomorrow to check out the puppies. I'll be at school in the afternoon, but Kumo has gone completely bonkers over the pups, so she'll be here to make the vet crazy with questions and continuing squeals of "Aren't they CUUUUUTE?"

Anyway, I must fall over asleep now. It's been a long night.