Sunday, July 23, 2006

Gage's Renaissance Adventure - Part 3

So I've been considering taking up an instrument for a while. I thought maybe I would try being a drummer.


And while the drums were GORGEOUS, drumming doesn't seem to be quite me. While wandering, I met a wonderful woman named Oksana Moshinsky who talked to me about taking up the bandura.

And while Oksana plays the bandura just beautifully, we both decided that it was much too large an instrument for me. She was very kind to play for me, though. I bought a copy of her CD so I can listen to her play even when I'm not at the Renaissance Festival. Her playing was THAT beautiful.

I watched a guitar player, a fiddle player and a little dancer for a while at one of the stages. I saw a flute player, some bagpipe players, and a person playing a recorder. But none of those instruments seemed like they suited me either. I was starting to despair that I would EVER find the right instrument....

...and then, on the wind, I heard the most beautiful, most haunting sound. I followed the sound of this haunting music to the shop where it was coming from and found it.... the bowed psaltery.

I had to have it. I have no idea how I'm going to play it, but I will figure it out, and Wendy said she would help.

Meredith, the wonderful sales lady who helped me, gave me a big good luck snuggle as I was leaving. She was a big sweetie, and very helpful.

With all of my shopping out of the way, we decided it was time to head home. Eventually, we did find the car (that parking lot is HUGE). I don't remember much about the drive home, because I curled up in Wendy's straw hat and fell asleep.


So, all together it was a GREAT day at the RenFest. I met lots of neat people, and I think (maybe) I've finally found an instrument. I'll figure out how I'm going to play it (leaning over, sitting on a chair, etc), and then see if I can find a teacher. Wish me luck!

Thanks for reading about my RenFest Adventure!!!

Hope you had a great weekend, too!