Friday, July 21, 2006

Family

Aunt Esther and my cousins, Holly and Robin

This wedding is bringing out many of my relatives, and really is turning into an impromptu family reuion for us. Talking to Aunt Esther on the phone this morning, I realized I haven't talked much about my family here.

It's huge, there are an awful lot of us: siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews. There will be relatives at this wedding that I talk to nearly every day. There will be relatives that I haven't talked to in years. And there will be relatives that I could gladly go several MORE years without talking to.

I realized I am both looking forward to, and dreading this wedding. Oh, those of us who really don't get along have gotten to where we can be in a room together with civility. But being faced with rifts that you know cannot be healed is never comfortable.

It will be interesting, at any rate. Aren't weddings always?